JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oddities with an extended 1056B01

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmorris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Oddities with an extended 1056B01 Reply with quote

Having a blast with this stuff, it really is a sickness. :)

Think I have found some issues though.

1. I can put LKPs on the device keys without a problem. Can't put one on the power key. Just never fires the long side, I can put whatever I want in the short side and it will run. I even tried putting the LKP on a phantom and calling it at the end of the general device macro as I have seen discussed here. Nope. It isn't fatal, moved the logic to a macro on Shift-Power and it works. It isn't orthogonal with the long presses on the others though.

2. I can put a ToadTog on A, B, and C but not D. Never seems to fire, neither side.

Ok, to save questions the remote is a TimeWarner branded unit with 1056B01 on the back, 1056BC1-XXX-001-0001-001-R C072705 inside the battery hatch. RemoteMaster is 2.02 running on Fedora and the RDF says the extender is version 2.13 and that matches what I downloaded. A copy of my current load is at [url]http://library.beau.org/~jmorris/linux/jp1/[/url]
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm... That is very strange indeed

The path for processing keys is identical for every key on the remote (even the shift/setup key) so I can't see how in the world that the remote would not process things properly

the only limitation is that you have to have more than one key on the LKP, you can't have an empty side and one key on the other side since the remote will think that this is a different type of keymove (there is an explanation of that somewhere in here, it's a limitation of how the remote processes key moves)

I haven't looked at the Atlas extender code for a long time, and the last time I looked at it was when I was going to back-port the 8910 style HT setup that I used in the RCA RCRP05B to the original JP1.3 remotes. (I actually did it but have never had the time to test the damned thing on all of the remotes) 2.13 is current so out of rev is not your issue.

Can you confirm that you're not falling into the empty/one key problem?
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the version of your RMIR file that is failing? The one you posted has all your workarounds.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmorris, I was going to check this for common user errors. However you made this so difficult, I finally gave up. First off you disabled bbc code in your post, so I had to copy and paste the link. Then you didn't posted off site, which always makes me a little nervous, but I followed the link anyway, but your file wouldn't open, I get a text posting of an RMIR file. You make me then copy and paste it into notepad, save it as an rmir file and then open it in rmir. If you had posted it in our file section, remotemaster would have opened up from the get-go. Then I finally got down to the file, and it doesn't have the nonworking version, it has the workaround. Sheesh.

I hate that extender usage has fallen to such a level, as that we can't be sure that everything has been tested after it has been released for so long. I think 2.13 has been out for two years. To me, using extenders is a huge part of the JP1 experience. It pains me to see that our extenders have such low usage. We extender writers put forth a huge effort to get these out there, but enough of my rant.

Edit: I see that Phil didn't feel a need to complain, and got straight to the point and asked for the file without any criticism about how much of an effort it was.

Can you guys tell I'm having a bad day? Sorry.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to live up to the pH7 part of my screen name. Smile Some days that is easier than others.

As to one of your frustrations - if it should come up again: When I got to his directory, I right-clicked (instead of a normal mouse click) and choose "Save link as..." from the pop up menu. This downloaded it to my computer as a .rmir file and I could just open it from there.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I didn't know I could do that.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jmorris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, sorry bout the bad posting. Not sure why the disable BB code is defaulting on, will look at my profile and see what is up. As for where I put the file, since I have plenty of personal web space I tend to use that instead of dumping stuff on other folk's drive. As these files are probably as small as text posting though, guess it really doesn't matter.

unclemiltie wrote:
Hmmmmm... That is very strange indeed

The path for processing keys is identical for every key on the remote (even the shift/setup key) so I can't see how in the world that the remote would not process things properly

That is what I was thinking. That if codes bound in the device upgrade work it has a correct mapping between the numbers coming out of the remote's firmware representing the physical keys so how are special features bound to them failing. Doesn't make much sense. Which is why I finally gave up and posted, always try to puzzle these things out for myself.

unclemiltie wrote:
the only limitation is that you have to have more than one key on the LKP, you can't have an empty side and one key on the other side since the remote will think that this is a different type of keymove (there is an explanation of that somewhere in here, it's a limitation of how the remote processes key moves)

Found that one out already, same for ToadTogs, have to put a harmless code on unused sides.

Will post an updated file over the weekend with things in a failed state for the power macro. The one posted does exhibit the problem with ToadTog and the D button. A, b and C work and D is listed right below it apparently identically but neither side will fire. I experimented by putting the code for the info popup on both sides and it just sends the code from the base device upgrade.

Only suspicious thing is a, b and c are sequential entries and d is somewhere entirely different on the key chart. Could it be falling out of some other test like the key groupings? But again, it is picking it up enough to send the base code when I pick AUD, just not triggering the special features.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even without seeing your failing file, I suspect that your problem with the "D" button is because of a conflict with the Keymove that you already have assigned for the AUD device "D[green] THX.

I took a tip from Vicky and saved your file as an IR file and opened it in IR. It pointed out the conflict on the D button as it was loading. This is a trick I will use in the future.

We should be able to see your other problem, with the Power button, when we see the file that isn't working.
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry. I'm a 2.13 extender user and will continue using it until all my jp1.x atlases are dead Wink
jmorris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see that keymove now that I know to look there. But it is grey because apparently it is coming in with the device upgrade, it isn't something I manually defined. So I guess the question is why? Why did the device upgrade put in ABC normally and D as a keymove?

Guess it might help if I explained what I'm trying to accomplish. The original remote has three captions on the color buttons and if you push the net or usb input select it sends different codes when they are pressed. I'm trying to replicate that using a toggle tied to the otherwise unused day keys. I put the functions to control the receiver in the device upgrade and then stuck toggles that either invoke the same key with a shift or phantom5-8 with the codes for the network/usb block in the receiver.

I will try putting the receiver's THX key on Phantom9 and invoke that from D's toggle and leave the device upgrade silent on that button.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defining a device in RM or KM (don't know which you used) any button marked with an "*" at the end of the button name will be created as a keymove and automatically loaded with the device upgrade. The upgrade didn't do anything with A, B, and C because you probably didn't assign any function to those buttons. It did create a keymove, because you assigned a function to the D button. When you put TOADTOGs on all 4 buttons, there was no conflict for A, B, or C, but there was a conflict for the D button. You can just delete the keymove (on the Key Moves tab), the conflict will be gone and the TOADTOG will work for the D button. If you want to make sure the key move does not come back, go the device definition and remove the function assignment from the D button.

In the device definition, you can put the THX function on shift-D and then invoke shift-D from the TOADTOG, but your idea to use Phantom9 will work also. Either way avoid the key move conflict, as long as you remove definition as describe above.
jmorris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I get it now. I was using the Layout tab in RM when I should have been using Buttons. The stars don't appear on the Layout view. The answer is I was using an Amp as the device type since well, it was a receiver and all that. But apparently receivers don't directly support the D button while other types are much more complete. I moved it to cable and D isn't a keymove any more and neither is anything else I defined.

So it makes a sort of sense now, like it when problems have sane solutions.
jmorris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, have now had time to put these changes into the actual remotes. The D key is good. And I tried the LKP macro tied to power again, and it is also behaving itself.

New problem. Now DiscreteON for the receiver broke. Examined things in light of this new knowledge and noticed that switching from Audio to Cable had the side effect of moving DiscreteON from a keymove to a code included in the upgrade. Or not. So I manually created a keymove to put the same EFC on DiscreteON and suddenly my power up macros started working again.

So at this point I have everything working but somebody who understands this stuff better than me might want to look at the rdf and see if DiscreteON should be doing what it is doing.

I updated the copy I uploaded into my web space with what is currently running in my remotes. At any rate they might help others with similar hardware. The custom device upgrades are very complete. Especially for the TV and the old Panasonic DVD changer.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad everything is working for you.

I didn't go look, but it sounded from your post that, again, you didn't post the rmir file that you believed to be malfunctioning, but instead posted the one with your workaround. Since everything is working for you, you may not care, but if you want to find out what was really going on, post the one that didn't function as you expected. I doubt that anyone will be looking at the RDF until we see a demonstration of the problem.
jmorris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the only difference is the addition of a keymove on DiscreteON. If you look at the device it claims to have a definition of that key, without a star, so the keymove shouldn't be needed, but it is. Or I'm still misunderstanding the details somewhere.

But yea, I have everything working at this point but would still like to track down any problem to make it easier for the next guy. It is how open source development works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: