JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can you run this: Experimental Cross compiled jp12serial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carsonlittle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Can you run this: Experimental Cross compiled jp12serial Reply with quote

I am using this to compile jp12serial on Linux (and Windows): http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/

What this means is that any developer, including myself now (hopefully) have a way to:

1. Create jp12serial.dll *and* jp12serial.so on Linux
2. (as well as, possibly) create jp12serial.dll *and* jp12serial.so on Windows

This is useful if you have either Windows or Linux (but not both) available to you, but you want to release/distribute both jp12serial.dll *and* jp12serial.so to the general population

This is also useful if you want to build jp12serial.dll on Windows but don't want to install Visual Studio *or* you want to use mingw on both OSes (like I do).

I compiled this: (http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11218) and got this http://www.filedropper.com/jp12serialdll.

Could a kind person running Windows put this/replace the usual jp12serial.dll with this one and let me know if they have issues? (this dll should woek EXACTLY like the "original" one)

This is supposed to be a 32bit build, so should work on all Windows.

If there are no issues, that means my method works and I will come-up with a write-up, if required, to let anyone do this themselves.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't load in RMIR, with the following message in rmaster.err: Unable to create JP12Serial object: C:\Remotes\2.03 Alpha\Windows\JP12Serial.dll: Can't find dependent libraries.

IR8.03 won't start and displays the message: The application has failed to start because libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll was not found.

Note that the distributed JP12serial.dll is already compiled using MinGW g++, and is under 35K for Windows, Linux, or Mac, either 32 bit or 64bit. I don't think we are trying to cross compile, however.
carsonlittle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Doesn't load in RMIR, with the following message in rmaster.err: Unable to create JP12Serial object: C:\Remotes\2.03 Alpha\Windows\JP12Serial.dll: Can't find dependent libraries.

IR8.03 won't start and displays the message: The application has failed to start because libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll was not found.

My bad, could you try again with these files (dlls) in the same folder as this dll: http://www.filedropper.com/deps

If this works, tools like IR, jp1test should work with these 3 DLLs too.

If any tool compalins about mising dlls still, place a copy of these dlls in the same directory as the tool - for example, for RMIR, place these dlls in the same folder as the jar as well as inside the Windows folder (where is looks explicitly I guess?)

3FG wrote:

Note that the distributed JP12serial.dll is already compiled using MinGW g++, and is under 35K for Windows, Linux, or Mac, either 32 bit or 64bit. I don't think we are trying to cross compile, however.

This is for my own purpose at the moment, and I hope it helps others in the future.

The filesize can be made comparable to 35K soon, I left in a lot of debug info.

I thank you for the detailed logs and feedback.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only tried downloading, but it worked in IR, where all dlls are kept in the same directory as the executable.

It also worked in RMIR, but it was necessary to put the two dependent dlls in the same directory as the jar file.

So far, so good!
carsonlittle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I only tried downloading, but it worked in IR, where all dlls are kept in the same directory as the executable.

It also worked in RMIR, but it was necessary to put the two dependent dlls in the same directory as the jar file.

So far, so good!

So far, so good, and I could not have done it without you. Thank you.

Working on the RMIR communication ATM as it's working fine on Linux but I have a homework due tomorrow so not sure if I will be able to work everything out.
carsonlittle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you (and anyone else interested) try this one: http://www.filedropper.com/jp12serialdllstaticstrippeddll

Make sure to delete all the 3 DLLs I have provded so far - they are not required anymore.

Notice that the size is comparable to the existing jp12serial we have as well!

This is actually the DLL I should have originally posted had I been a bit more careful.

Anyways, I am happy this worked out well - essentially we don't need Visual Studio anymore nor do we need a Windows machine to build windows DLLs, and Win x64 support is free too.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I only tried downloads, but this dll worked with JP1.3 and JP2 remotes on a 32 bit XP system.
carsonlittle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Again, I only tried downloads, but this dll worked with JP1.3 and JP2 remotes on a 32 bit XP system.

Thank you - I assume it should run on Win 7 64 bit systems too (but it would be great if someone with that config can test)

This progress is important to me as I am moving to a JPx-IRWidget combo cable where most of jp12 serial is actually resident in the cable itself and the FTDI chip is no longer necessary, nor are special drivers. My design will come with a new jp12 serial DLL that makes this transparent to all our tools.

Thanks again (Perhaps I should turn this into a poll to determine what systems this DLL runs on?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: