JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to get Learned tab to appear in RMIR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: How to get Learned tab to appear in RMIR Reply with quote

Split from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14213

I don't have a Learned Signals tab when I use RMIR, is there an option I need to set to activate it?

Last edited by The Robman on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I don't have a Learned Signals tab when I use RMIR, is there an option I need to set to activate it?

It is automatically hidden if DecodeIR is not found. Can you check Help > About and see if it says DecodeIR is available? RMIR looks for it in the "Windows" folder inside the folder where RemoteMaster.jar is...if you just have it in the same directory or in windows/system32, that is not sufficient for RMIR.

Assuming RMIR installed at c:\rmir, it expects:
Code:

c:\rmir\RemoteMaster.jar
c:\rmir\Windows\DecodeIR.dll

You can also have a problem (I discovered recently) if your machine is 64-bit...if the 64-bit version of Java is in your PATH, then double-clicking RemoteMaster.jar runs it as 64-bit...and it doesn't seem to be able to load DecodeIR.dll in that scenario. I had to use 32-bit Java to make it work properly.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan wrote:
The Robman wrote:

It is automatically hidden if DecodeIR is not found. Can you check Help > About and see if it says DecodeIR is available? RMIR looks for it in the "Windows" folder inside the folder where RemoteMaster.jar is...if you just have it in the same directory or in windows/system32, that is not sufficient for RMIR.

Assuming RMIR installed at c:\rmir, it expects:
Code:

c:\rmir\RemoteMaster.jar
c:\rmir\Windows\DecodeIR.dll

You can also have a problem (I discovered recently) if your machine is 64-bit...if the 64-bit version of Java is in your PATH, then double-clicking RemoteMaster.jar runs it as 64-bit...and it doesn't seem to be able to load DecodeIR.dll in that scenario. I had to use 32-bit Java to make it work properly.

I think this should count as a bug. I addressed it here, but, after had received a "go" from Greg, never (yet) commited it Embarassed .
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use my shortcut for RMIR (which has the following command: C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar "C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\RemoteMaster.jar" -ir) the Learned tab isn't there, but when I click the .jar file directly, it is.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Also, when I use my shortcut for RMIR (which has the following command: C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar "C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\RemoteMaster.jar" -ir) the Learned tab isn't there, but when I click the .jar file directly, it is.

I'm guessing your shortcut activates a different Java instance or somehow messes up the paths so that it doesn't find the dll. Stuff like that is exactly why Barf has proposed we move towards standard installation locations for the DLLs. If you right-click your shortcut and do properties, what does it have under "Start in:"? It should be "C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\" in my opinion...if it's something else, that would probably explain why it doesn't find the DecodeIR.dll in that case.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan wrote:
If you right-click your shortcut and do properties, what does it have under "Start in:"? It should be "C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\" in my opinion...if it's something else, that would probably explain why it doesn't find the DecodeIR.dll in that case.

The Start In is valid, so that's not the issue.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Vyrolan wrote:
If you right-click your shortcut and do properties, what does it have under "Start in:"? It should be "C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\" in my opinion...if it's something else, that would probably explain why it doesn't find the DecodeIR.dll in that case.

The Start In is valid, so that's not the issue.

Then I have no clue. =) I may look into that and see if I can add some logging to the rmaster.err to give us more information about what it's trying to do.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I fire up RMIR using the shortcut that I mentioned earlier, i get the following error messages in rmaster.err
Quote:
DecodeIR: Looking in 'C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta'.
LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'DecodeIR' from 'C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\Windows\DecodeIR.dll'...
Failed to load DecodeIR JNI interface!

and when I fire it up by double clicking on the .jar file, I get the following success messages in rmaster.err
Quote:
LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'DecodeIR' from 'C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\Windows\DecodeIR.dll'...
LibraryLoader: Loaded 'DecodeIR' successfully from 'C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\Windows\DecodeIR.dll'

Does that offer any clues as to why DecodeIR doesn't load from the shortcut?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Also, when I use my shortcut for RMIR (which has the following command: C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -jar "C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\RemoteMaster.jar" -ir) the Learned tab isn't there, but when I click the .jar file directly, it is.

Hmm, I wonder what that -ir does.
My RMIR shortcut has me start in the jar folder and the target is this
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar RemoteMaster.jar

Perhaps loosing the -ir will help.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
When I fire up RMIR using the shortcut that I mentioned earlier, i get the following error messages in rmaster.err
Quote:

and when I fire it up by double clicking on the .jar file, I get the following success messages in rmaster.err
Quote:
LibraryLoader: Loaded 'DecodeIR' successfully from 'C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\Windows\DecodeIR.dll'

Does that offer any clues as to why DecodeIR doesn't load from the shortcut?

This means it has to be a 32-bit vs 64-bit thing... I should have added some logging about the java version that is executing. I'll do that and get another version uploaded.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Hmm, I wonder what that -ir does.
My RMIR shortcut has me start in the jar folder and the target is this
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar RemoteMaster.jar

Perhaps loosing the -ir will help.

It's a hold over from the days where you had to use -ir to get into RMIR because back then the .jar would bring up RM, whereas now you need to use -rm in order to get to RM as the .jar brings up RMIR.

So yeah, I know I don't need the shortcut anymore as I can just use the .jar file, but I figured we should try and figure out what's wrong anyway. Up until a few days ago, I didn't even know that RMIR could even display learned signals because I could never get the Learned tab to appear.

And just FYI, I am indeed using 64-bit Windows 7.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan wrote:

This means it has to be a 32-bit vs 64-bit thing... I should have added some logging about the java version that is executing. I'll do that and get another version uploaded.

New version uploaded. It gives us information about the java version that is running. I also made it so that if it fails to load it from the explicit path, then it will try to load from standard java path. That may help few random people. I'm guessing in your case that your two different ways of launching it will end up executing different versions of Java...that seems like the most likely cause. Try it out and post the same log parts as you did before.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

failed attempt (Java version '1.6.0_17')...
Quote:
LibraryLoader: Java version '1.6.0_17' from 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre6' running on 'Windows 7' (amd64)
LibraryLoader: Failed to load 'DecodeIR' from 'C:\Users\Rob Crowe\Documents\JP1\RM 2.02 beta\Windows\DecodeIR.dll'
LibraryLoader: Java version '1.6.0_17' from 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre6' running on 'Windows 7' (amd64)
LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'DecodeIR' from java library path...
LibraryLoader: Java library path is 'C:\Windows\System32;.;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Ulead Systems\MPEG;;C:\Program Files (x86)\IrMaster'

successful attempt (Java version '1.6.0_33')...
Quote:
LibraryLoader: Java version '1.6.0_33' from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6' running on 'Windows 7' (x86)

Following that lead, I did a scan on my system for javaw.exe and found a more recent copy in the "SysWOW64" folder, so I updated my shortcut to use that and it works! Not only do I now get the Learned tab but I also see icons on the windows explorer type window that you use to select files (they had been missing from there for years).
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...I was correct.

Look at where it runs Java and the detected architecture from when it fails:
The Robman wrote:
failed attempt (Java version '1.6.0_17')...
Quote:

Then look at the successful attempt:
The Robman wrote:
successful attempt (Java version '1.6.0_33')...
Quote:
LibraryLoader: Java version '1.6.0_33' from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6' running on 'Windows 7' (x86)

So when a 64-bit version of Java is used, it will fail. I'm not actually sure what we can do to resolve this easily. Out of curiosity, was it failing to load the other DLLs too (it loads a few right before DecodeIR)? We should probably consider releasing both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the various dlls (DecodeIR, ExchangeIR, etc). Then RMIR could just detect the architecture and load the correct one.

The Robman wrote:
Following that lead, I did a scan on my system for javaw.exe and found a more recent copy in the "SysWOW64" folder, so I updated my shortcut to use that and it works!

You should be able to point your shortcut directly at the C:\Program Files (x86)\Java executable and it'd be fine.

I think I will add a warning in the application about this. I'll add some of that Java version information to the Help > About. If using 64-bit Java, I'll change the tooltip on the disabled Learned Signals tab to indicate that's the likely reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: