JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR Repeater can turn TV Off but not On?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: IR Repeater can turn TV Off but not On? Reply with quote

I figured I'd toss this one out here to IR magicians and see if anyone has seen this. So I have an IR distribution system, and so in each room I have my little IR receiver to send signals from the remote back to the various components tucked away. The system is also bidirectional, so I have an IR emitter coming back and placed over the TV's built-in receiver...this is used to send signals to the TV from non-remotes (iPad, home automation, etc).

Now, I'm having the wackiest problems... As it turns out, the receiver is automatically forwarded to the emitter, so if I shoot the remote, the TV ends up getting it directly AND via the emitter. As would be expected, the TV flips out and won't work when this happens. So I cover the emitter with black electric tape so that only the emitter can send signals to the TV... Now the insanity begins. When the TV is on, everything works fine...I can change volume, mute, navigate the TV's menu, etc, etc...with either the OEM remote or my JP1 remotes. I can also turn the TV off with any of the remotes by just hitting the power toggle button (this TV does not have discretes).

HOWEVER, when the TV is off, I cannot turn it back on. Not even the OEM remote can turn the TV back on via the emitter. It does flash so it is sending the signal (the same signal that will correctly turn it off), but it won't turn on. Even more bizarre, if I send that exact same signal to the emitter via an IP-to-IR device, it DOES turn the TV on. It's completely insane. Anyone have any idea what might be going on here? How can the signal that works correctly to turn it off not work correctly to turn it on? It's utter madness!

However, and this is really crazy
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of TV?

What kind of protocol does the TV use?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
What kind of TV?

What kind of protocol does the TV use?

I'm at work so I can't give specifics, but the TV is a Panasonic. Since I only do Power and Volume from my JP1, I didn't even make an upgrade...it's just using TV/0250. The JP1 remote works with that setup code to the TV directly, but it won't turn it back on if it's going through the emitter instead of direct. Also I used the lookup tool to get the power EFC and then RMIR to get the OBC for that and then IrMaster to get the hex code which was then converted for use with the IP-to-IR device....and that will turn the TV on through the emitter, but not my JP1 remote or even the OEM remote. =(
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google says that the Power button on Panasonic needs to be held down to get the TV to power on. If you just press and release the power button you don't get any repeats. You can tweak the JP1 protocol to give you a minimum repeat count, but you still need to keep pointing the remote at the IR repeater thingy.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
A quick google says that the Power button on Panasonic needs to be held down to get the TV to power on. If you just press and release the power button you don't get any repeats. You can tweak the JP1 protocol to give you a minimum repeat count, but you still need to keep pointing the remote at the IR repeater thingy.

Interesting... That does kind of make sense. Even when I use the OEM remote, I don't see the IR receiver light up continuously, so something about those signals must not make it through the receiver, but when I send the code through the IP-to-IR (and I think I put it do like 3 repeats), it works. I do know the IR receiver is capable...since other buttons I can hold down and I see continuous light on the receiver, but not on the power button...something must be different about it. I wonder if I tried a different Panasonic code if it would work differently? Maybe I can compare a learn from TV/0250 power key to the actual OEM remote power key. We could probably tweak a learn or tweak the protocol or something to make it work, but that's such a hassle... I still haven't even had the time to look at the DirecTV one I wanted to tweak. =(
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: