JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OARI06G Slow on repeated presses...normal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
So Vyrolan, did you ever get around to trying creating upgrades with the other Replay protocols? Did they solve the slowness problem? If not did you want to try tweaking the protocol to stop all repeating?

I have not gotten to mess with it much due to various installation stuff (and then having to correct/redo their crap, but hey my wife let me buy a jigsaw so that's a bonus). I did try the John Fine's simplified executor you linked but that didn't help.

I am still interested in it. I do think maybe a tweaked protocol with fewer repeats (or none?) might solve the problem. It would be a welcome fix for us since I'd guess 98% or more of the IR signals generated in our place are destined for a DirecTV box.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
So Vyrolan, did you ever get around to trying creating upgrades with the other Replay protocols? Did they solve the slowness problem? If not did you want to try tweaking the protocol to stop all repeating?

I have not gotten to mess with it much due to various installation stuff (and then having to correct/redo their crap, but hey my wife let me buy a jigsaw so that's a bonus). I did try the John Fine's simplified executor you linked but that didn't help.

If she's in a good mood, you might want to work in a compound miter saw too. You'd be surprised at how much the quality of your handyman projects improve with that saw in your tool collection.

Quote:

I am still interested in it. I do think maybe a tweaked protocol with fewer repeats (or none?) might solve the problem. It would be a welcome fix for us since I'd guess 98% or more of the IR signals generated in our place are destined for a DirecTV box.

Do make sure to try all the variations that we already have first.

To get a grasp on the problem, take your remote and your digital camera (phone will do) and try this experiment. Look at the business end of the remote and tap a key that goes to the Directv box. Watch how long it takes for the signal to actually start and finish.

If you press the button again, before the signal is finished, the remote will think you are holding the button. It sounds like you two have fast fingers, and removing the repeats would be the easiest fix.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

If she's in a good mood, you might want to work in a compound miter saw too. You'd be surprised at how much the quality of your handyman projects improve with that saw in your tool collection.

While I would agree, such things are ill-suited to our condo in the city. =)

vickyg2003 wrote:

What other variations do we have? I've tried it on various remotes with and without the protocol upgrade, and I tried John Fine's you mentioned...are there others?

vickyg2003 wrote:
To get a grasp on the problem, take your remote and your digital camera (phone will do) and try this experiment. Look at the business end of the remote and tap a key that goes to the Directv box. Watch how long it takes for the signal to actually start and finish.

I'll give it a whirl.

vickyg2003 wrote:
It sounds like you two have fast fingers, and removing the repeats would be the easiest fix.

She does complement my fingers Cool , but I think she likes repeats too. Wink
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

What other variations do we have? I've tried it on various remotes with and without the protocol upgrade, and I tried John Fine's you mentioned...are there others?

In RMIR, we have 3 executors a, Replay Official, Replay Simple and Replay Advanced.

Trying all three saves you the work of changing the executor. I think you WANT to learn how to do this, so I've been hanging back and not jumping in and ruining your learning oportunity. I know that for me at least, it was hard to make myself tackle that protocol building learning curve when I didn't have a personal stake in the outcome and didn't have a way to test my output. Then of course I got the IR Widget, and the insurmountable learning curve, melted away......... Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE my widget!!! Laughing

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
In RMIR, we have 3 executors a, Replay Official, Replay Simple and Replay Advanced.

Wait, how did we get on Replay? This is DirecTV...

vickyg2003 wrote:
Then of course I got the IR Widget, and the insurmountable learning curve, melted away......... Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE my widget!!! Laughing

I'm in Tommy's queue for whenever he gets back up and running.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

Wait, how did we get on Replay? This is DirecTV...

Whoops I got my threads crossed, and have been thinking replay all along, because I was working on that for someone else. So I just took a look at that protocol. You've got a tough one to cut your teeth on.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Whoops I got my threads crossed, and have been thinking replay all along, because I was working on that for someone else. So I just took a look at that protocol. You've got a tough one to cut your teeth on.

Blah.

If I end up having to dig deep on the protocol, I probably won't even get to messing around with it for a while. Is making this kind of modification going to be super involved? I'm still fixing up some of the details around the house and once we get the final receiver (on a loaner from the store at the moment), I have to integrate that...which will also expand the distribution so more changes to the remotes for all 4 rooms.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan wrote:
Is making this kind of modification going to be super involved?

Nah. Changing the repeat is ususally pretty easy. In fact its a good starting point for learning how to modifying protocols executors.

1) Sometimes it is as easy as changing a bit in one of the flag variables.
2) Sometimes its changing the contents of a minimum repeats variable.
3) Sometimes its just commenting out or rearranging a couple lines of assemely language.

In this case, you need to look at about 62 lines of assembly code, and figure out what its doing. We do this kind of thing for users all the time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: