JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help adding jp1 connector to ueic 2004 (Hitachi TV remote)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trooperuss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Help adding jp1 connector to ueic 2004 (Hitachi TV remote) Reply with quote

Hi I have an old Hitachi tv remote that I love bc it has 2 scroll wheels on it for volume and channels. it does not have a jp1 connector nor the contacts to add one. From what I've read I might still be able to add the connector provided it has the right eeprom.
However I have not been able to figure out if it is compatible or not.
Here is the info on the 32 pin chip on the board:
N442
3C80F9XNZ - S077
UEIC 2004
J6330A

I would like to know if it is possible to add the JP1 connector and if so, how to do so (where to connect it to?)

Pics:
Board - Top and Bottom
Board
Bottom

If there is any more info I can provide please just ask.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Trooperuss on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While your question is well outside my area of expertise, I assume from what I've seen in other threads that it would be very beneficial if you could post pictures of the remote. Include the front and the back. If you can disassemble it (which it seems you can based on the details you provided), then post pictures of both sides of the disassembled remote as well including close ups on the important parts. I think with those pictures the various experts can probably make a pretty good determination about whether or not its possible.
Trooperuss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I haven't checked back here in a while as I've been fighting to get my HTPC up an running.
I'm in the process of switching from Media Portal [win7] to XBMC [Openelec], and the setup is giving me trouble.

Pics uploaded (check first post)

I should also mention that I'm willing to go to great lengths to get this particular remote to do what I need it to. I can't express how awesome it is to have the volume and channel select on a scroll wheel.

I get very excited thinking about how much easier it will be to scroll through my hundreds of movies and tv shows with the wheel.

Thank you for your time.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This CPU uses a Read Only Memory (32KB), meaning the code is built onto the chip during fabrication. So in order to add upgrades, the remote would need to have an EEPROM. I don't see any evidence of an EEPROM chip. Pins 30 and 31 would be used to program a EEPROM, but from the one side of the board for which we have a picture, these pins are routed up to the LEDs.

There isn't any indication of circuitry which could be connected to a JP header or to a EEPROM. Of course we can imagine just gluing in a EEPROM, and connecting it and a JP1 header to the microprocessor, but the 3C80F9 chip would need to have been programmed to work with these, and it almost certainly isn't.

Why not buy a modern remote, and use JP1 connector to program the remote to send repeated Ch+/- signals while button is held down?
Trooperuss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thanks for the replies folks, this is above me at the moment, and I really appreciate the help.

Hmmm, that's what I was afraid of (rom).

Sry I should have had a better pic, try this one:
Board - Top and Bottom

After tracing the leads, it appears that pin 30 goes through TP40 and R22 (not that I know what either of those are).
And 31 goes through TP5 then R12 to R2

I already have 2 jp1 remotes that both already have repeating signals.
I was looking to get this remote working as it is more elegant in it's functionality. It's the same reason I like using the scroll wheel on my mouse to browse the web, rather than using pgup/pgdn.
I'm not looking for the easy solution, rather the ideal one.

Tell me more about adding an EEPROM please Very Happy .

Other things I thought might be worth looking into:
Could I replace the processor with a JP1 compatible one if I am unable to get this one to work?
Could I swap the scroll wheels over to another remote?

Thank you for your time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: