JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with Sony Combined for P8/740 Remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetskater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Problem with Sony Combined for P8/740 Remote Reply with quote

At Least I can confirm that this is a problem with the RS 15-1995 remotes going back to KM 7.00--which is when the Sony Combined was first available for P8/740's

The Problem is that KM doesn't map the "Fixed Data" properly. Using Dave Roberts' Code for the SonyDVPCX875P 400 DVD Changer as an example: Sony_DVPCX875P.zip
KM Correctly maps the Fixed data as 96 46 00 00 for the URC-881x remote that he uses. When you convert this to the 15-1995 KM sets the Fixed Data to 96 46 00. This causes the entire mapping to be off by 1 byte when you plug it into any IR version. I.E., KM gives the upgrade code as:
Upgrade Code 0 = 93 F3 (DVD/1011)
27 00 BE FA C0 1E ED 92 46 00 90 ....

When it needs to be
Upgrade Code 0 = 93 F3 (DVD/1011)
27 00 BE FA C0 1E ED 92 46 00 00 90...
for it to map correctly.

This problem seems to carry over all the way to KM 8.12

Edited to Add:
As a point of reference RemoteMaster does seem to handle the Fixed Data properly--assigning it to 92 46 00 00 but I have yet to figure out how to get RM to configure double byte codes necessary for the Sony Combined.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited your post to make the url into a link.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the KM issues. I would like to get RM to work with the Sony Combo protocol.

I just read the protocol help for Sony Combo, and I haven't figured out how this should be presented in RM.

Here's the text:
Quote:
Then in the byte2 column you enter the Sony12 or Sony15 device code. For Sony20 functions, you need to enter the 8-bit subdevice code in the four device code cells in the Setup sheet. Then in the byte2 column you need to enter a 1-digit number indicating which of those 4 sub-devices you wish to use (1, 2, 3, or 4), followed by a space, followed by the 5-bit main device code.

For Sony12/15 codes, the spreadsheet will treat device codes 0 thru 31 as Sony12, and codes 32 thru 255 as Sony15. However, if you wish to explicitly specify which version you want, enter a "5" for Sony12 and a "6" for Sony15, followed by a space, and then the
device code.

In RM it would seem we would want a column to select the protocol (Sony12, Sony15 or Sony20). Next would be the "Device" colum
that would just be a entry field.
A third column would be the "Sub-device", only available when the protocol is Sony20, showing a drop-down list of the sub devices entered on the Setup panel.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked at the inner workings of the protocol, but if that quoted help text is accurate, your idea for presention in RM sounds right.

One detail I'd like to remind you is that Sony15 protocol is just (very) rare for device numbers under 32, but Sony12 protocol is impossible for device numbers 32 and up. IIRC, Sony20 is also impossible for device numbers 32 and up (since its 13 device bits are split as 5 for device and 8 for subdevice).

So if the user selects a device number 32 or up we should force the protocol to Sony15 (rather than generate a garbage Hex command).

I think the UI would be a little cleaner with a "none" choice in the subdevice field, so that subdevice column is always a live choice and forces the protocol to change to Sony20 if you pick a real subdevice and from Sony20 if you pick none.
streetskater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
In RM it would seem we would want a column to select the protocol (Sony12, Sony15 or Sony20). Next would be the "Device" colum that would just be a entry field. A third column would be the "Sub-device", only available when the protocol is Sony20, showing a drop-down list of the sub devices entered on the Setup panel.

That sounds about right to me. In IR keymoves for example, when you go to enter an EFC value for the Sony Combined, it requires a doube bytle Hex entry to take care of which specific Sony protocol is wanted. In KM spreadsheets Excel will calculate the double Hex from the OBC, which is specific and discrete for the Sony Combined but cannot do so from the EFC value which is not. RM will not process or even accept double Hex entries in it's Functions Tab.

gfb107 wrote:
I edited your post to make the url into a link.

Culture Clash! I guess it's my Fileshare roots showing through. On Pleasuredone we shy away from embedding direct links. Funny thing is I was a JP1'er long before I ever heard of Edonkey--which probably explains why I still have a closet full of 15-1995 remotes..... Wink

Of course if it wasn't for The Robman I wouldn't even have Replay let alone 400+ DVDs. If it wasn't for Fileshareing I wouldn't have bought that Sony 400 changer--and I never would have bought it either if I didn't have the option of replacing it's miserable remote with a real one (i.e., a customized JP1 remote). So perhaps All Roads really do Lead to Rome.....

Last edited by streetskater on Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with Sony Combined for P8/740 Remote Reply with quote

streetskater wrote:
We'll have to wait for Mark to say for sure, but it looks like it's simply a typo in KM. It's all set up for the newer Sony Combo for P8/740s, but it's simply omitting the fourth fixed data byte, which, as you stated, should be the same as the S3C8s.
streetskater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with Sony Combined for P8/740 Remote Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
streetskater wrote:
We'll have to wait for Mark to say for sure, but it looks like it's simply a typo in KM. It's all set up for the newer Sony Combo for P8/740s, but it's simply omitting the fourth fixed data byte, which, as you stated, should be the same as the S3C8s.

I haven't done anything much with JP1 for awhile--as evidenced by the fact that this is my first post on this forum--but I did some "hard time" in the trenches back in the day--well it felt like hard time to me Razz. I feel like a complete newbie again--but it's starting to come back to me a little--Thank god all my JP1 hardware interfaces still work.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with Sony Combined for P8/740 Remote Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:

For sure (there, I said it Wink ), it's a typo (well, not technically, since it was never there to begin with)... and it's been fixed for the next release.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: