JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A different approach?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevhoward

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: A different approach? Reply with quote

I have been a professional database (dBase and FoxPro) programmer for almost thirty years, but think I have been working with programmable remotes even longer. (when did the first OneForAll come out?)

Up until a few years ago, I was active in this forum but have wasted those last few years being frustrated by Harmony remotes and it's terrible programming interface.

For about five years, I have been tinkering with and using microsoft ehome consumer IR dongels, primarily for receiving commands to control our "media computer" but have also played with software that uses these dongles to _transmit_ IR commands.

For years I have been interested in developing software to exploit this capability of media computers, but have only around 75% of the capabilities to create a good solution that would allow us mere mortals to create a custom remote interface that would be usable on any smartphone, computer or other device with wifi and any web browser.

The skill that I lack is the ability to create an html link running on a personal web server that could command software on the same computer to issue IR commands out of the ehome usb ir dongle to then directly control other components such as televisions.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start to either learn these skills or perhaps someone with them to collaborate with?

Thanks in advance for any tips, information or encouragement ;-)

Beverly Howard
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A different approach? Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
For about five years, I have been tinkering with and using microsoft ehome consumer IR dongels, primarily for receiving commands to control our "media computer" but have also played with software that uses these dongles to _transmit_ IR commands.

For years I have been interested in developing software to exploit this capability of media computers, but have only around 75% of the capabilities to create a good solution that would allow us mere mortals to create a custom remote interface that would be usable on any smartphone, computer or other device with wifi and any web browser.

The skill that I lack is the ability to create an html link running on a personal web server that could command software on the same computer to issue IR commands out of the ehome usb ir dongle to then directly control other components such as televisions.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start to either learn these skills or perhaps someone with them to collaborate with?

Thanks in advance for any tips, information or encouragement Wink

Beverly Howard

Bev meet Barf or rather the tools he created. Although, I suppose you can contact the author via PM if you need more esoteric information.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Bev, it's been a while.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bev,

Are you running Linux or Windows for your HTPC? If you are running Windows - have you checked into EventGhost?

http://www.eventghost.org

http://www.eventghost.org/docs/controlling_your_living_room_with_eventghost/index.html

It has a very powerful scripting language - I think you could use it to do what you describe...

xnappo
bevhoward

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> Welcome back Bev, it's been a while. <<

Thanks... surprised to be remembered at all, but, more importantly, remembered _and_ welcomed back ;-)

>> Are you running Linux or Windows for your HTPC? If you are running Windows - have you checked into EventGhost? <<

It's documentation is part of my bedtime reading over the next few days. However, on first reading, it appears to be much more complex that what I am after.

From my perspective, what I am trying to do is much simpler and not tied to any hardware other than a USB ir emitter... hopefully the Microsoft eHome which is essentially the same as apple's IR dongle.

More details on my idea in the thread at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=102100#102100

Thanks for the input,
Beverly
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: