JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New RS Kameleon 8 coming - 15-2138

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: New RS Kameleon 8 coming - 15-2138 Reply with quote

Here's a link for ya: 15-2138

and a picture...

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
rickety

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Even on their product page (in your link) they still try to sell batteries!
bsoplinger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, does that mean a US version isn't too far behind?
Revwillie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the Kameleons bring in that much revenue for RS?

I'm surprised if they do.

I still love the hard buttons, myself.
paulkent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you bet they generate revenue. they chew batteries worse than a lab puppy, at least my 2133 does. 3 weeks is the best we have done, the subwoofer jiggles it on way too much is my guess...

i'm not that happy with the 8811w either. its IR is not as effective so you almost need laser guided alignment at the repeater buried in the center channel speaker grill... never had this particular issue with the 2133...

what does everyone else use? in my free time i'm gonna explore the extender for the 8811w;
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the "classic" 15-1994. Back in the old days, these remotes had 2 IR-LEDs positioned behind an IR window, so they had good strength and range, the newer remotes have one IR-LED positioned in a hole, so they have weaker strength and reduced range. It's a pity. At least with the URC-6131s I'm able to poke the IR-LED further through the hole which improves things.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update on the 15-2138 as I've picked on up from my local RS. First off, it's the same square shape as the 15-2133 rather than the more ergonomical shape used for the URC-9960.

From a JP1 perspective things are a bit more tricky. Whereas they improved the battery cover situation for the URC-9960, they've gone back to a 15-2133 style battery cover for the 15-2138, plus whereas the 15-2133 battery cover had a screw which we could use to hold the Kameleon battery adapter in place for JP1 downloads, the 15-2138's battery cover just clips in, so there's no way to hold a battery adapter in place. In order to get downloads so I could create an RDF for it, I soldered some wires in place, but this isn't exactly a good long term solution.

At any rate, for those of you that might have this remote already, I have already created the first draft of the RDF and it can be found in the RDF folder. There's still a couple of bits of info that I need to add and Nils will need to check it over to make it RM compliant, but it will at least let you download your data and look at it using IR.exe.
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'm using the "classic" 15-1994. Back in the old days, these remotes had 2 IR-LEDs positioned behind an IR window, so they had good strength and range.

Rob,
I actually have a picture of that. Turns out that if you point the remote at a digital camcorder and fire a button the camcorder gives a very nice image of the 2 IR broadcasters--in red. I'll stick the jpg on my web and post a link here if anyone wants to see the proof--once I find the damn jpg's.
The Robman wrote:
The newer remotes have one IR-LED positioned in a hole, so they have weaker strength and reduced range. It's a pity.

I'm surprised to hear that--are you basing that more on the 2116 than the 2117. I actually find that my 2117 is noticeably stronger, for both RF and IR broadcast than my 15-1995--and I found the 1595 to do a stronger IR than the 1994. I'll check the 2117 to see what it's broadcasting.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetskater wrote:
The Robman wrote:
The newer remotes have one IR-LED positioned in a hole, so they have weaker strength and reduced range. It's a pity.

I'm surprised to hear that--are you basing that more on the 2116 than the 2117. I actually find that my 2117 is noticeably stronger, for both RF and IR broadcast than my 15-1995--and I found the 1595 to do a stronger IR than the 1994. I'll check the 2117 to see what it's broadcasting.

I should have said "The newer OFA remotes...". The 15-2116 and 15-2117 both have 2 IR-LEDs behind an IR window, so their performance should be the same as the 15-1994.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: