JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 USB not recognised anymore.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickety

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: JP1 USB not recognised anymore. Reply with quote

I use 1994 and 8910 remotes and have one of the earlier grey USB connectors. As my remotes have generally worked quite well and I am not always buying new AV gadgets, I don't often connect up the interface. The last few times, I would get Device Not Recognized from windows (XP on a laptop) and re-connecting, in another port would eventually seem to make the problem go away. I was suspicious that physically moving the cables and box may have contributed (as though there was a loose connection). I could not find one!

It has now fought all my attempts to connect and I am considering a new cable. I have tried a different PC (though with Win7) and it is not recognized either.

I am leaning towards Tommy's flash connector with the EEPROM adapter. Am I right that this appears to provide the most flexibililty if I need to change to newer remotes in future?

In addition, does anyone know if my understanding is correct? I think the USB device responds with its name when connected to a PC so that the prompts for software install can make sense to the user. As it is not saying Delcom it means even the basic communication is not working correctly.

THanks for any help and advice.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Win7 you could try 3FG's WinUSB driver and instructions HERE. I suspect a hardware problem from your description. Otherwise Tommy's cable and adapter are the best choice and most flexible for the future.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JP1 USB not recognised anymore. Reply with quote

rickety wrote:
I am leaning towards Tommy's flash connector with the EEPROM adapter. Am I right that this appears to provide the most flexibililty if I need to change to newer remotes in future?

Yes. That would give you the best and highest flexibility at this point.

rickety wrote:
In addition, does anyone know if my understanding is correct? I think the USB device responds with its name when connected to a PC so that the prompts for software install can make sense to the user. As it is not saying Delcom it means even the basic communication is not working correctly.

Well, it isn't actually associated by name. Your PC will identify a USB device by a four digit Vendor ID and Product ID. These numbers are is its unique hardware identification that your USB Host system will use to associate the proper drivers to load for that device.

Probably the easiest way to find this information is to open your Windows Device Manager then select View > Devices by connection. The device tree will change and branch out paths representing how your devices are logically connected. As you go down each fork, look for the PCI Bus which will lead you both the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller and USB OpenHCD USB Host Controller .

As you go down this path, you might see a few hubs Root and Generic USB Hubs. At this point, you're looking for the respective USB Serial Port. If you do not find one then try unplugging and replugging the cable to see which device is being removed and/or reloaded. Once you've figure it out then right click on that device, select the Details tab, and under the Property drop down, you'll see "Hardware Ids". If you had either Tommy Tylers JP1.2/3 Flash Cable or the IR Widget then you'd see its hardware id is "VID_0403&PD_6001". This is how Windows associates and loads the respective FTDI Serial Port drivers which enables their use.
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks eferz for the suggestions.

My device is not being detected at all now, so I believe that some internal fault in the wires or board have been made worse by my attempts to check for the fault. In addition, my laptop shows both a Universal USB and an Enhanced USB2 and I have seen reports that the Delcom chip/driver is flaky on the Enhanced - so maybe that was my problem all along.

I have uninstalled the various USB connections and let them be re-detected but it made no difference.

So I think I will bite the bullet and just order a new one from Tommy.

Thanks again for the reply.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickety wrote:
Thanks eferz for the suggestions.

Thanks again for the reply.

You're welcome. Glad to help. Sorry, it didn't provide you with better results. On the bright side, you learned a little esoteric information about how USB works.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried fresh batteries in the remote?
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Have you tried fresh batteries in the remote?

That would only affect the communication between the remote and an active USB Serial Port connector. His computer should see the cable regardless if there is a remote attached to it. These adapters are based on a USB serial port, it will require drivers for support when connected. The communication between the remote and the remote; however, is facilitated through serial.
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy is now processing my order!

I was using the "original" USB with the Delcom chip. I gather the new approach from Tommy is a USB to Flash remote cable and an adapter for my ancient JP-1 remotes.

My old one, was from DIYGadget and although nothing shows up anymore when plugging it in, the USBIODS.inf shows it as ...

VID_0FC5 PID_1222, although when it was working, I thought I just saw the more human form that said "Delcom USBIODS" . I did not think I ever saw it assigned as a COM port on USB (but I may have not noticed or forgotten)

Thanks again for the interest and replies.
rickety

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received my new interface from Tommy and can heartily recommend his service and the professionalism of the device. I got his USB Flash device and the JP-1 adapter.

The lights on the USB connector help be sure that things are happening as expected when it is in use.

Very good.
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had read more about Tommy's products before buying the DIYGadget JP1.2/1.3 (FLASH) USB Cable & their JP1.2/1.3 to JP1 Adapter. They were a little pricey to begin awith nd I haven't gotten their stuff to work. The UBS Flash loads as intended--as a com port but I can't get IR to see the "delcom" drivers.
I finally got Rob's WinUSB installed --it calls itself "Delcom Proxy" in the USB Controller tab. That seems odd but it's loading stuff and it knows it's provided by hifi-remote.com

The driver statis is, "not connected to any hardware. The DIYGadget gadgets aren't triggering any recognition and IR.exe doesn't see the USB drivers on it's end. "Driver Status"passes the Serial/Parallel driver, but barfs on "unable to find delcom driver" The interface NEVER sees a remote.

I'll play around with this stuff a bit more but I think I'll go ahead and use Tommy's solution. As for DiyGadget--Nothing is keyed so you first of all have to figure out how everything connects--which ain't rocket science but just a little foresight at Diygadget's end would have been sensible and fair-- for their their price!

4 bucks bought me a Parallel extension cord (for convenience) and my original Parallel hardware is still running like a champ for JP1
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really have a JP1.2/1.3 Flash remote, it does not use the Delcom chip, and uses neither the Delcom or WinUSB drivers. The Delcom chip was used in JP1 cables. That's why the driver is "not connected to any hardware"-- there is no compatible hardware.

You need to install the appropriate drivers. Those can be downloaded using the link at DIYgadget or from the Prolific site (seemingly required for Win 7). Read this post and the following ones.

It probably make sense to remove the WinUSB driver.
streetskater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 3F,
I just picked up this tip in another thread--Jetstar posted the solution a year ago! The Delcom USB drivers aren't needed with the JP1.2/1.3 Flash USB cable. When I plugged it in, it automatically loaded the Prolific USB-Serial drivers and assigned a Com port. It was good to go at that point. The Delcom USB stuff was just distraction. Set IR to look for a JP1.x Serial or USB and no more problems.

Diygagets could possibly be a tad more forthcoming with setup instructions. If Tommy hadn't taken a break this month I'd have his stuff instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: