JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"No Response From Remote" message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBM911

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: "No Response From Remote" message Reply with quote

Suddenly I can't seem to get a connection when using my parallel JP1 cable with my 15-2117.

Tried differnt remotes and none can now connect. Re-booted. Keep getting the same message

What to do??
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "No Response From Remote" message Reply with quote

SBM911 wrote:
Suddenly I can't seem to get a connection when using my parallel JP1 cable with my 15-2117.

Tried differnt remotes and none can now connect. Re-booted. Keep getting the same message

What to do??

Have you tried fresh batteries?
SBM911

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: "No Response From Remote" message Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
SBM911 wrote:

Tried different remotes and none can now connect. Re-booted. Keep getting the same message

What to do??

Have you tried fresh batteries?

Yes, and multipe remotes.
Rebooted, pulled reinserted the parallel. For some reason I can't get IR (using 6.20) to now recognize any of my 15-2117"s (running XP if that matters). What to do??
just4fn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you are on the correct com port.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the OP describes this a parallel interface, so the com port isn't relevant. At this point, I would suspect a problem in the interface itself. Why not use the troubleshooting directions in "Building a Simple Interface" ?
SBM911

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Well, the OP describes this a parallel interface, so the com port isn't relevant. At this point, I would suspect a problem in the interface itself. Why not use the troubleshooting directions in "Building a Simple Interface" ?

Having not used the JP1 for a while now I'm confused about which way the cable was to be attached to the remote (15-2117). Please confirm for me: if holding the remote upside down/open with JP1 female connector on right, is the parallel port ribbon cable's plug's "looped wire" down (cable attaching over the bottom of the remote) or should it be up (cable attached coming down from the top)?

Having possibly switched it, could I have screwed up the software or hurt the cable resistors?
If the former what should I do? if the latter I assume I'll need to get another cable (no soldering skills)?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin 1 may be marked with a little arrow on the connector. That needs to line up with pin 1 on the remote. In any case, it doesn't hurt anything to try it both ways.

If you think you need a new cable, just post in the MarketPlace forum. Since parallel ports are nearly extinct, someone will probably have a cable cheap or possibly even free.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBM911 wrote:
Having not used the JP1 for a while now I'm confused about which way the cable was to be attached to the remote (15-2117). Please confirm for me: if holding the remote upside down/open with JP1 female connector on right, is the parallel port ribbon cable's plug's "looped wire" down (cable attaching over the bottom of the remote) or should it be up (cable attached coming down from the top)?

We can't answer based on that because we don't know who made your cable and which way they decided to loop the wires. But you won't damage a 15-2117 by connecting the cable the wrong way around.

SBM911 wrote:
For some reason I can't get IR (using 6.20) to now recognize any of my 15-2117"s (running XP if that matters). What to do??

We can't really get too involved with trying to debug this because you are using an ancient version of the program. The current version of IR is 8.03 and just about everything has changed in some way since 6.20, including the DLLs that control communication.

Download the current version and see if it works. If it doesn't, report back what the problem is.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8457
SBM911

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
SBM911 wrote:

We can't answer based on that because we don't know who made your cable and which way they decided to loop the wires. But you won't damage a 15-2117 by connecting the cable the wrong way around.

SBM911 wrote:
For some reason I can't get IR (using 6.20) to now recognize any of my 15-2117"s (running XP if that matters). What to do??

We can't really get too involved with trying to debug this because you are using an ancient version of the program. The current version of IR is 8.03 and just about everything has changed in some way since 6.20, including the DLLs that control communication.

Download the current version and see if it works. If it doesn't, report back what the problem is.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8457

OK loaded and ran 8.03 and still get the No Response From Remote message. I note that if I plug in the cable from over the bottom the 2117's screen LCD's light up for about 15 seconds. when I do it from over the top of the remote (where the plug's 5th and 6th ribbon cable wires that are looped together are on the bottom (when the remote's back is up and the head is to the left) I get no screen change at all (but in both cases I get the "No Response Message when I either "Check Interface" or "Download"). Tried new batteries, I changes the parallel ports.

What else should we try?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old parallel cables sometimes require a bunch of battery tricks to make them work.

Try...
  • Fresh batteries
  • Old batteries
  • No batteries
  • Put one battery in backwards

eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The old parallel cables sometimes require a bunch of battery tricks to make them work.

Try...
  • Fresh batteries
  • Old batteries
  • No batteries

I would also add "borrowed batteries" and "blue batteries" to that list.
SBM911

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Try...
  • Fresh batteries
  • Old batteries
  • No batteries

I "give". Buying a new cable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: