JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

can't open interface?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenough1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: can't open interface? Reply with quote

Hi,
last time I updated remotes was april 2011 and everything was working (upgrading to extender 2.04). Today, IR 7.06, couldn't open the interface.

I'm using Tommy's jp1.2/3 usb interface, laptop (same as april) running xp sp3. under the device manager i see the interface recognized as com11. the drivers are reported as FDTI, 3/18/2011, 2.8.14.0.

the remotes are altas OCAP 1056 black. other things I've are new batteries in the remote. the interface connected the other way around. another atlas remote. and still no joy.
... [some time goes by]

I think I figured this out... I tested my ir widget (also from Tommy) and it works perfectly.

I went back to IR and checked interface status and got:
The serial/parallel driver is functioning properly.
USB Error:
Unable to find the Delcom device driver.

I don't remember exactly, but I might have been using my old usb to serial adapter and tommy's serial interface. this is the first time I've tried to use the USB interface. How do I work around this - that different software wants different drivers?

Just tried IR 8.00 Beta 8 with the same result, delcom driver not found.
Is the answer to go to RM-IR?

thanks,
jeff
greenough1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. downloaded RMIR v2.02 beta and rdf's and image/map and installed.

RM-IR reports that it's downloading, then gives an error:
No RDF matches signature starting

the message ends with a blank.

I downloaded the latest rdf, extracted into a folder where I'm running RM-IR and set the director to point to these, telling RM-IR to apply the change right now. Same results that no RDF matches signature starting (blank).

Best,
jeff
greenough1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
google searching the forum showed this thread:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13352&sid=e1062510adfa0c8a5d84bf2f92ea61b4

it seemed to have died, but I've got the same problem.

How is the delcom driver even in the equation? How do I get rid of it?
Best,
jeff
greenough1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed a microsoft usb trouble shooting guide and nuked all the USB devices in the device manager, then rebooted. I have the same errors in both IR and RM-IR.
Best,
jeff
greenough1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I think the issue is with trying to download an extended remote!
I pulled a virgin 1056 from the package and can download from it.
I tried downloading from both an extended remote and an unextended remote with no luck. after a 981 reset I can download from it.

I can also, using RM-IR, open an existing unextended setup (didn't test extended setups). I modified it and uploaded it.

I have to say that RM-IR is a nice tool and I'm drifting towards it.

Sorry for sucking up bandwidth in the forum with my thrashing. I'm still not sure why downloading just didn't work. maybe something odd in the rdf set I used when creating the setups?

At least I can get tonight's task finished.

A side question. I just checked loading an extended setup into RM-IR. I see that it thinks it's an Atlas 5 Day URC-1055 JP1.3 3033 extender, based on the text at the top of the window. I also see the signature as 3A333A33. How is RM-IR selecting the rdf? If asked I would have picked a different rdf than this one. there are 4 rdf's with the 3A333A33 signature.

Best,
jeff
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I just wanted to wish you a happy holidays. Unfortunately, I cannot help your original problem. But, I didn't want to leave you talking to yourself in the thread. So, I just wanted to pop in to let you know that someone is out there reading your posts. You're not alone. The truth is out there. The eagle has landed. Two arms, two arms.

I can partially answer the RDF question. If you're referring to it from RMIR then the signature of the remote is downloaded during the transfer. You can check the "Raw Data" tab to see the signature of the remote on the right side of the window. If you check the RDF folder, you'll see that the file nomenclature is "Signature (Remote Name).rdf". So, its is a simple method of pattern patching the filename with the electronic signature of the remote. I'm not sure how it determines which one to use if there are multiple matches though. I'm hoping it is something in the RDF itself (which is a text file if you want to read it) and not something trivial as first come first served.
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks eferz. more like talking through it.
there's something odd going on with the rdf's, the extenders and the tool's ability to download through the usb serial interface. I got it to work, but it took several hours to work through it.

Happy holidays to you too. The experts I'm sure will be around soon to set me straight.
Best,
jeff
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

OMG, IR 7.06. Jeff you are a forum regular, what on earth are you doing with that OLD obsolete version of IR. The advancements in the 8 series are huge!!!

Sorry I can't help with your issue, but just had to say something![/i]
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,
I'm a believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it. IR versions 7 and 8 both have been used configuring these remotes.

RM-IR is a nice tool and I'll probably be moving to it. I had already started moving towards RM for remote setup.

I did a bit more testing with the 1056 extended remotes, beginning with an existing IR setup. I can activate and de-activate the remote. the macros looked okay (not mixed up which is a sign of rdf confusion).

To duplicate my issue I think here's the basic setup:
* have an existing extended remote (atlas OCAP 1056 black) that was loaded with IR (version 8 or older), using a serial interface (and usb to serial adapter)
* have a JP1.2/3 usb interface
* attempt to download.

Note the july august 2011 thread I link above. That's the same issue I had. moving from a serial interface to a usb and the software changes (IR, RM-IR and driver changes around april 2011), are causing this problem.

It does seem to go away (you can download) if you have a unextended remote. NOTE and I almost forgot about this, the remote I started with yesterday was NOT extended. This is what's so confusing. Could an rdf change from version 1.31 to the latest (1.38?) be the a factor?

Anyway, I think I'm up and running.
Best,
jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: