JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which remote do you like best

View previous topic :: View next topic  
just4fn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Which remote do you like best Reply with quote

I've been using the 15-2116 with jp1 for years now. I have used it to the max of it's limits. My cable is getting old and the remotes are getting old. What remote is equal or better now? I would like one with more memory and buttons, I just don't know whats out there. What does the jp1 forum recommend? Thanks!!
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Which remote do you like best Reply with quote

just4fn wrote:
I've been using the 15-2116 with jp1 for years now. I have used it to the max of it's limits. My cable is getting old and the remotes are getting old. What remote is equal or better now? I would like one with more memory and buttons, I just don't know whats out there. What does the jp1 forum recommend? Thanks!!

I am particular to this Insignia remote. (http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=98600#98600)

xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlas 1056 OCAP:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ATLAS-1056-URC1056-Time-Warner-Universal-DVR-PVR-5-Remote-Motorola-DCX3400-/230720598989?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item35b804f3cd

Be sure to get version B01 not B03 (the link above is correct).

At least for now - B03 uses a newer communication scheme and chip that the tools do not currently support - that is being worked on though.

xnappo
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Insignia is my favorite too, followed by the cheaper and easier to find RCA RCRP05B. Advantages both have over the Atlas are learning, more devices and better styling IMO. If you go for an Atlas, realize there are backlit and non-backlit versions. The one linked above looks backlit, but you can't be sure unless you ask the seller since the pic may not be accurate. If you want backlit and have trouble finding one, PM me as I have some spares for sale in the US.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Advantages both have over the Atlas are learning, more devices and better styling IMO.

Advantages of the Atlas are more buttons - including day and page up/down and more devices 5 vs. 4. Both backlit Atlas and backlit Insignia are getting hard to find unfortunately.

Personally, if you can wait a bit (like 4-6 months), I am hopeful there will be some breakthroughs in Xsight remote support!

xnappo
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the RCA has those (pg up/dn, day +/-) and 8 device (5 real, 3 phantom). Insignia has 8 devices too, including phantoms. But you can't beat Atlas prices (usually around $8 shipped).
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my 8910, but the down button in particular is getting very bad. I've tried cleaning it several times, but it only takes a day or so before I have to hold the key for a bit before it registers. I like the LCD as it's easy to tell what mode it's in.

I have the RCA set up as a backup, and did try using it for a bit. If you have a Comcast cable box, it's more or less pre-set for that, with all the keys you need and more. On the other hand, having only 5 device keys, it could be limiting.

Although not JP1, the remote that came with my Onkyo receiver does a decent job on it's own, but can be confusing controlling the receiver itself as some keys change codes depending on the mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: