JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wanted: Budget 2nd-hand JP1 remotes (or advice on those)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Wanted: Budget 2nd-hand JP1 remotes (or advice on those) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I think this is the most appropriate sub-forum to ask...

I am about to start a local sell-out of some "returned-to-life" home electronic appliances that I have accumulated over the years (by byuing faulty -> fixing -> shelving).

One of the issues is that when I buy "dead" devices from garage sales, council cleanups and flea markets, they come mostly without remotes, but when it gets to selling to an end user, everyone prefers it to come with the remote, of course...

Acquiring original remotes is out of question - either models are no longer supported or local distributors want ridiculously big money for them, which in many cases exceeds the price I am intending to ask for the device itself.

It is important to note here that it is NOT a business, and I am not getting any profit from this - just covering my out-of-pocket expenses.
Call this a hobby if you want - my interest is as follows: you can get rid of the fixed TV or PC monitor, but the "resurrecting" experience and satisfaction of "giving a second life" to a good piece of engineering stays with you, and always will.

Anyway... I am looking for a bunch of cheap(ish) JP1-compatible remotes that I can bundle with my "equipment-to-go". I keep the JP1-upgrades for pretty much every device that I fix, so JP1 remotes would be an ideal solution for me.

The reasonable budget for those would be up to say $20 mark (each).
Second-hand (but working) RC units are perfectly acceptable.

If someone can help me with that, I could buy 10 pieces immediately, and possibly more. If you can suggest some other solutions, I am open for ideas. Ebay used to have a lot of 8910s about a year back, but all I can find now is one $80 unit. Global economy crisis?

For myself, I use a bunch of URC8910s and 8811s, but I am getting low on those too, as I had to sell some out with the equipment before...

Thanks everyone and sorry for a long tale...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you can often find batches of atlases for only a couple of bucks a piece ($4 or so), I think it would be worth considering JP1.3, and buying/making a JP1.3 cable. Old JP1 remotes are getting more rare and expensive, but JP1.3 remotes are plentiful. All your existing upgrades will work fine on atlases. Keep that in mind in case you strike out on a good JP1 remote source.

Good luck
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link with a buy-it-now price of $2.99 and more than 10 units available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390222650755
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your inputs.

Switching from JP1 to JP1.3 is not an issue whatsoever - I can build any cable required.

The issue is that I am NOT in US, and the seller from the link above wouldn't ship to outside US.
So, I'll have to look for ebay listings that would ship Atlas or other JP1-X compatible cheap(er) remotes to overseas.

Is there a combined chart showing which Atlas remote models come with JP1-X interface?

Thanks again.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlas is a popular remote on cable tv systems and the cheapest JP1.x remote in the US. I don't know what the equivalent outside the US would be, but HERE's the complete list.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn_Trips wrote up a guide to identifying Atlases, but it is not up to date. There are some new Atlases that we can't talk to (yet).
Guide to identifying Atlases
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8508

As you can see its kind of a frightening buying atlases because they all look alike.
A signature blinkback can help.

I contacted this Atlas seller, and the remotes being sold are the 3033 Atlas.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, everyone.

(Vicky, let's see if we can get you to hit your 4444-th post in this thread... :)

I did the advanced ebay.com search for Atlases that would ship to Oz, but received zero hits.

Local ebay only lists one or two of those for over 20 bucks each.

Vicky also suggested those:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comcast-Cable-Remotes-Lot-10-/360341902217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e60d1389

Those work out about $7 a piece including shipping. Not too bad.

Apparently, they are Comcasts 1067's.

If there are no caveats in getting my JP1 upgrades (which were built exclusively for 8910 and 8811's) to work on those, then I might go for them.

Of course, I realise that I have to build myself a JP1-3 cable.
No probs here.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many sellers, if contacted via email, will agree to ship internationally if the order is worth the trouble.

The Comcast 1067 JP1.2 remotes are (like the newer 1067BX3s) very nice from an ergonometric point of view. They are fairly old, and don't have many of the newer codes. So if your customers may use the remotes with additional equipment, an Atlas 1033 is probably more flexible.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:

(Vicky, let's see if we can get you to hit your 4444-th post in this thread... Smile

If there are no caveats in getting my JP1 upgrades (which were built exclusively for 8910 and 8811's) to work on those, then I might go for them.

The remotes pictured are JP1.2 1067's (Gray OK/Select button) but chances are pretty good that they will be JP1.3 1067B's (Red OK/Select button). I've found that Ebay people often have the wrong pictures for these remotes.

If they are the JP1.2 and any of your upgrades use custom protocols, that may be a small barrier to getting your 8910 upgrades to work on them. The JP1.2 remotes use a different language than the 8910. The JP1.3 remotes use the same language. So you might have to ask for a custom protocol to be translated.

As I said in my PM, I personally like the 1067's because I specialize in the JP1.2 remotes, but for most people the JP1.3 1067B is more desirable because they have more E2 memory and have a full range of 5digit EFC support where the gray button remotes can't do 5 digit EFC's above 65535. The 1067B also has a bigger built in library of setup codes.

The Atlas is a bigger bang for your buck as long as its not one of the extremely new ones that the guys haven't got working with the interface. The Atlas "thinks" its a learner. That is it has the space for learns and can send them, but its rare to find an Atlas with the learning hardware to actually do the learning.

Both the Atlases and the Comcasts have problems with the fine print on the PIP keys waring off.

The Comcasts also have a problem with the white keys yellowing if they were in a smoking household.

Both the Atlases and the Comcasts have strong wills. These OEM cable remotes want to be STB remotes and some of the menu keys for non cable device types need to be keymoved or they won't work.

The Comcast remotes are slightly smaller, and prettier than an Atlas. The Comcast also have a clear coat over the Comcast logo, so the logo can't be removed. The Atlas remotes can have the logo's removed if you are careful and skilled.

The Atlas that was shown in the link in the thread didn't appear to be an OCAP, but again people often post the wrong picture. An OCAP remote has 4 colored buttons. These Atlases as well as the Comcast remotes only have 3 colored buttons. Yellow, Blue, Red, but no Green. I know that in other countries it is a lot more desirable to have 4 colored buttons.....

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I think many sellers, if contacted via email...
Hmm... I have not found any way to contact this particular seller either via ebay or email:

In case this is something to do with my location (by IP address?), can someone from the US please see if the email or other contacts of his are available in the listing. Thanks.

3FG wrote:
So if your customers may use the remotes with additional equipment, an Atlas 1033 is probably more flexible.
a) I don't know as yet who my customers are / will be... :-)
b) I have no intention to supply the remotes with the equipment as universal ones - they will be sold as dedicated to the particular device, just as replacement for the original RC.
Most people don't have any RC-programming knowledge, especially in JP1 area. They want just a working device-and-RC pair.
I might mention to the customers that the RCs are universal, but will let the buyers to do their own homework if they need to use the RCs as universals.

Vicky, I am not fussed about a couple of dollars difference in the price between suggested Atlases and Comcasts, but as I said just above, there seems to be no way for me so far to get those $2.99 Atlases. So, it looks like I might have to go for those 10 Comcasts, having failed to contact the Atlas seller.

Thank you all again.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
3FG wrote:
I think many sellers, if contacted via email...
Hmm... I have not found any way to contact this particular seller either via ebay or email:

Yes they changed this since the last time I used ebay. Click on the sellers name "signsup" and then under his picture is a "Contact" link. He answered me late last night but within a couple hours of contacting him. That's how I know these are 3033 remotes.

Quote:

Vicky, I am not fussed about a couple of dollars difference in the price between suggested Atlases and Comcasts, but as I said just above, there seems to be no way for me so far to get those $2.99 Atlases. So, it looks like I might have to go for those 10 Comcasts, having failed to contact the Atlas seller.

Thank you all again.

If you go for the comcasts, ASK if they are red or gray ok buttons. If they are mixed ask for red button remotes only.

PS. Still haven't reached 4444, one shy.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
Yes they changed this since the last time I used ebay. Click on the sellers name "signsup" and then under his picture is a "Contact" link.

Here's a direct link to the contact page:
http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?FindAnswers&frm=284&requested=signsup&iid=390222650755
On this page, select "Other" then click "Continue".
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have many boxes of JP1 remotes sitting around, so if you don't get any joy on ebay, drop me a line and I'll see if I have something that will work for you.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first: Vicky, I missed the very moment of your 4x4. Congrats!

Thanks for your clear instructions regarding Comcasts. Understood.

The Robman wrote:
digital_silence wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

Yes they changed this since the last time I used ebay. Click on the sellers name "signsup" and then under his picture is a "Contact" link.

Here's a direct link to the contact page:
http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?FindAnswers&frm=284&requested=signsup&iid=390222650755
On this page, select "Other" then click "Continue".

Did that before posting the quoted above. It wouldn't let me type my own question - below is the screen that I am getting after I click "Continue" as you suggested Rob:
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3792/ebaycontactnot.jpg

That's what made me think last time that it was something to do with my location (IP address).

Anyway, I have now contacted him via general private ebay messaging system - hopefully he'll get it.
If he wouldn't ship overseas, I might take you kind offer, Rob, thanks a lot for your consideration.

In fact, we don't even have to wait for his reply - I'll send you the PM shortly, Rob.

And also those Comcasts are still an option...

Thanks again everyone for your fantastic support!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just re-read his listing and he states several times that he won't ship overseas and doesn't want to answer questions about the cost of shipping overseas. So, he has probably set his options so that he doesn't allow questions from people with a non-US IP address.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: